Logo stampa
Netbox CMS EN - Home Page
 
Welcome to the official website of Terre di Faenza
 

Chiesa di S.Antonio - Church of S.Antonio



Municipalities: Municipalities:Faenza

Address: Via Tonducci, angolo Piazzetta della Penna

Tourist offices: I.A.T. Faenza

Sacred 1700’s building on pre-existing medieval construction, with interesting architectural details and famous works of art

Explaination: The San Giacomo della Penna church is important mainly as a prototype of the 1700’s Faentine church architecture. In fact, in 1702 Carlo Cesare Scaletta rebuilt the church introducing mainly the “free column” motif at the sides of the presbytery to support the triumphant arch and to give a prospective effect of greater depth and articulation. In any case, Scaletta did not completely destroy the pre-existing 1400’s church, but reused a large part of the external walls as a “covering” (in addition to the old, warm bricks, note the parts in local stone such as “spungone” known as "della Samoggia"). The onion-shaped bell tower is also important, quite high and once again by Scaletta in 1728.The interior is quite pleasant for its balanced decorations and the vibrant dilatation of space thanks to the free columns of the presbytery. Amongst the works of art there is the large table by Marco Marchetti depicting "Il martirio di Santa Caterina d'Alessandria" (The martyrdom of Santa Caterina d’Alessandria - 1580) that has substituted the baroque engraved wooden and golden altarpiece that was completely burned in a fire on August 25th 1989. Furthermore, there are a few “minor” paintings: two by Francesco Bosi from Brisighella (known as “Il Gobbino dei Sinibaldi”) and the Faentine G. B. Bertucci and four “small canvases with the stories of S. Antonio” in the inter-columns of the side, attributed to Pasquale Tomba (second half of the 1700’s).

 
Directions: This is not a parish church, although it is very often open for cleaning, functions, meetings and special occasions. It is also interesting from the outside as it has preserved a large part of its 1400’s “covering” that was not destroyed during the renovations of 1702. It is easily reached from the centre along Via Severoli (from Piazza del Popolo towards west) and then left into Via Castellani to the small piazza San Giacomo della Penna, where the church is located on the southern side.



Last updated: 29/10/2013